Author Topic: Broken teeth on a starter motor?  (Read 4685 times)

DeusRx

• Mustang: 1968 coupe
  • Daily driver: same
Broken teeth on a starter motor?
« on: December 27, 2009, 08:50:44 AM »
Went to start the 351w and nothing.  Examination led to the starter which I saw had about 1/4 of the teeth broken from the shaft.  I have not seen this before and am going to replace it but is it a symptom of something serious or a simple failure?  Is there a tougher starter that could prevent this?

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
Re: Broken teeth on a starter motor?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 06:16:20 PM »
Went to start the 351w and nothing.  Examination led to the starter which I saw had about 1/4 of the teeth broken from the shaft.  I have not seen this before and am going to replace it but is it a symptom of something serious or a simple failure?  Is there a tougher starter that could prevent this?
Keep in mind that mechanical things break. That being said, take a look at your flywheel (or flexplate) and starter's teeth. The teeth where they mesh are beveled to make it easier to mesh. If one tooth doesn't mesh, it will jam up. Then it gets "worse". You made the "worse" department. I recomend replacing the flexplate or flywheel and get a new starter. It's usually the flexplate/flywheel that has the problem of lost teeth but a starter is not immune to problems. I've had to replace one flywheel for busted teeth so welcome to the club. Whatever you do, have fun doing it.
Jim

holdover

• Mustang: 1965 289 4 speed FB, 1967 390 4 speed FB, 1992 Hatchback 302 5speed,2012 GT 6 speed
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:27:50 PM »
first, have you been using this starter to start this vehicle, then all of a sudden it won't start and you discovered the broken teeth on the starter drive? If that is the case remove the starter and using a screwdriver turn the flywheel to check for broken flywheel teeth. If all the teeth look good, replace the starter drive (cheap fix) or the starter.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 05:58:41 PM »
I have a new starter drive if you want it, just pay for the shipping to you.  I don't need it. 

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version