Forum > Classic Mustang Technical forum

Brake question

(1/1)

Jeff1967:
Hello out there,

I just finished a complete brake job on my 67'. The car has all four original drums. When I put it back together the brakes work like new but now my brake light on the dash is on all the time. I think it has to do with somehow resetting a switch or spring valve of some sort located in the brake line block in the attached picture.

Can someone advise how to correct?

Thanks

Jeff

Topless_Horse:
The normal way to do this is to open a bleeder screw slightly at one front or rear wheel (making sure that no air gets into the system), then step on the brake pedal until the light goes out.  Then close the open bleeder screw.

If after several pumps the light does not go out, close the bleeder at that wheel and open one at the other end of the car  (again making sure that no air gets into the system).  Repeat the pedal pumps until the light goes out.  Close the bleeder screw.

If you remember which brakes you bled last (front, probably) you could start the procedure at the opposite end of the car (rear bleeder screw), since it's likely that the combination valve thought that the front brakes were lost when you bled them.

Jeff1967:
Thank you I will give it a try !!

Jeff

Topless_Horse:
Great -- also please be sure to check the fluid in the master cylinder before and after the procedure.  You do not want to run out of fluid while centering the valve or after centering the valve ... but you know that, right?  :)

Jeff1967:
Correct, Will do and let you know the results when I have time to work on.

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version