Forum > Classic Mustang Technical forum

71 Conv restore question


I just picked up a '71 conv with a 351C and am in the process of tearing it down.  It runs and drives, but the entire underside is rotted and needs to be replaced.  I have found most of the sheetmetal I need online, except for the "Reinforcement pans" that go under the front seat floor pans on the convertibles.  I have found however that many places carry this item for the '68 - '70 conv.  Do you think that they may fit the '71 - 73?  I have been told that many of the earlier floor pans and torque boxes and such can be made to fit with slight modifications.  I also have not been able to find the seat base that welds in over the floor pan, although I may be able to salvage them since they have mostly surface rust and no rot.


Hey i have the same thing with my '71 Conv. The footwells for the back seat are completly rotted through, and the unibody is also in rough shape. Mine only has a 302. But when i got that i got two junk cars that dont run, and one is a '73 coupe, that has no rust, needs a new interior and paint job, and the other is a '72 coupe, with a "good" 351C. It doesnt run at the time, it doenst have a radiator, but it has oil in it, so a rebuild kit would have it working great. I didnt get the titles on the two junk cars, i already checked and they are not reported stolen, but i have to track the title down before i can fix that one up. If all goes well i will be selling the conv.


[0] Message Index

Go to full version