Forum > Classic Mustang Technical forum

66 rally pac...smoke, wont start

(1/3) > >>

mike:
So i had a new rally pac installed in my 289. The wires from the pacgo down on the side of the steering column covered by a black metal bracket. I loosen the pac from the steering column because it was rubbing against the gage cluster and making a little rattle. I moved it up a bit, and got it tight on the column. This was on weds...this morning i go to start the car to come to work, and i got nothing when turning the key. Int. lights were on, checked batt. terminals, cleaned them up, measured voltage...11.98. try to start, no sound. So i gave it a jump, and it does as if it is going to start but immediatly shuts of. I also noticed smoke coming from around steering column...I checked and i noticed what appeared to be some of the cables from the pac cought in between the steering column and the bracket, as oposed to inside the bracket. It was 6 in the morning with a small flash light. I also noticed what appeared to be some of the cables somewhat burn. I had to leave cuz i started running late...So would those wires pinned against metal have created a short...go home check wires, could this have possibly damaged anything internally other than just shorting out...pac, or distributer??? I plan to remove bracket, check wires, see how bad they are...tape or replace, and get inside as oposed to against bracket.
Also, did notice when i jumped the bat. that every time i turn the key the RPM's needle would jump half way and then back down.

66GTKFB:

--- Quote from: mike on January 17, 2009, 12:06:20 PM ---So i had a new rally pac installed in my 289. The wires from the pacgo down on the side of the steering column covered by a black metal bracket. I loosen the pac from the steering column because it was rubbing against the gage cluster and making a little rattle. I moved it up a bit, and got it tight on the column. This was on weds...this morning i go to start the car to come to work, and i got nothing when turning the key. Int. lights were on, checked batt. terminals, cleaned them up, measured voltage...11.98. try to start, no sound. So i gave it a jump, and it does as if it is going to start but immediatly shuts of. I also noticed smoke coming from around steering column...I checked and i noticed what appeared to be some of the cables from the pac cought in between the steering column and the bracket, as oposed to inside the bracket. It was 6 in the morning with a small flash light. I also noticed what appeared to be some of the cables somewhat burn. I had to leave cuz i started running late...So would those wires pinned against metal have created a short...go home check wires, could this have possibly damaged anything internally other than just shorting out...pac, or distributer??? I plan to remove bracket, check wires, see how bad they are...tape or replace, and get inside as oposed to against bracket.
Also, did notice when i jumped the bat. that every time i turn the key the RPM's needle would jump half way and then back down.

--- End quote ---

It happens, a cable assembly get pinched by a cover or a screw gets driven into an indivual wire. A piece of black electrical tape is usually the fix. If the wire is cut or badly damaged, a replacement cable assembly is available from National Parts Depot www.npdlinks.com for $25. If this is an original Ford Rally Pac or a reproduction, the tac's leads are in series with the resistance wire to the coil. The tac's needle has tendency to bounce when you start because of the full 12 V hitting the coil and the inherant nature of the collapsing magnetic field in a coil.
Jim

mike:
Ok, so yes, black wire from the tac was damaged where it bends down the steering column. (Just the wire casing) the coper was intact.I taped, started the car with no problems. Clock works fine, but not the tac. I get nothing out of the tac other than every other time i start the car the needle pegs all the way at 6000 and back to o when the car is off. I started following the cable up the steering column and behind the gage cluster. (it appears there is some bare wire up there to). I loose the cable...what are these connected to. from all the cables out of the tac only the black seems to be damaged (is this a ground???) can i cut what i see and ground somewhere else?? clock black?? I didn't connect this so i don't know what these lines connect to???
Thanks

mike:
the light in the tac works.

mike:
removed instrument gauge cluster. was able to follow wires. they were all raped together with electrical tape from factory. that tape is almost all burned. not the cables hough. There is a red cable that attaches to another cable that comes out of the ignition switch. (the cable rom the ignition switch to the red cable is pretty much all burned. it is all shrunk. maybe that?? I don't have the installation instructions, so other than grounds,constant power for the clock and so, i don't know where the tac gets its rpm readings from???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version