Author Topic: 66" 289 distributor  (Read 7054 times)

Ken Moore

66" 289 distributor
« on: October 09, 2006, 09:53:39 AM »
Last year I purchased a rebuilt dist. After having some tune up dificulties I decided to replace the vacuum advance unit ,,It helped but not completely, The other day I removed the points plate and found that the weight springs were two different kind, One was of weaker type and the other was very stiff and sloppy. I've heard of racers changing springs around to get a modified advance curve but getting a dist. from an auto parts store I would think that the springs would be the same tension.

Does anyone know what the standard springs should be?

I replaced them with some new springs rated for 20deg curve but all I could get were for chevy, they seamed to help it run better. But I still dont think its right.

I do have a crappy carb so getting this engine to run tops is rather tricky.

Ken Moore

Re: 66" 289 distributor
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 12:12:54 PM »
Ok.. heres the latest
Had leaky valves so got some rebuild heads and installed them along with the edelbrock carb and manifold (works great)
wound up with a head gasket leak, swaped the heads again just to make sure and used a different torque wrench. all is well now.
tomarrow she go's in for new turbo exhaust system and I will change the drag headers to shorties tonight. that should hpefully gain me some torque back to the bottom end. then I will get back into the distributer and change the springs to the next stiffer ones. I think she may be advancing a bit too soon on the low rpm range and the stiffer springs will slow the advance a little... fingers crossed. but I tell you what... she loves to humm along down the freeway!!

rouge67

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 04:55:16 PM »
Hi Kemo, I see your car in Myalbum section; very beautiful car, I like the color and the unusual rims. Can you tell me where did you get the stripes on hood and trunk lid ?

Ken Moore

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 10:34:37 AM »
the stripes are painted on. the color is demention blue metalic and the stripes are peuter.

update:  this weekend I changed the drag headers to shorties and had new exhaust system installed from headers to rear with turbo mufflers,,, sounds much more pleasant but still muscely. also got some bottom end back... Its soo sweet sounding! I will need to readjust the carb a tad and try the advance springs when I get a chance.  She's getting better now , the exhaust was money well spent.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version