Author Topic: 65 289  (Read 1774 times)

Disturbance

• Mustang: 65 coupe
65 289
« on: October 22, 2010, 04:46:43 PM »
Hello all,
Brief history - I got my car back in 04, rebuilt the motor in 05. Did a comp cam package (I can't find the cam card however) and bored it .020 over. Running an eldlebrock carb and intake.

Where that comes into play is: I've been thinking about upgrading to a MSD distributor // box // coil. When getting the distributor do i need to know the specifics of the cam? I've heard something about requiring a different gear but right now i'm running a bone stock distributor.

Advice greatly appreciated. I love the wealth of knowledge this form has for a new (to the technical portions) classic car owner.

Thanks in advance!

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
Re: 65 289
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 06:19:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
I've never heard of that type of interaction between cam and distributor, so there should be no problem. But, get a Pertronix II or III (with coil) and retrofit your current distributor.
Jim

Disturbance

• Mustang: 65 coupe
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:34:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice, that sounds like it will probably save me some money (great, because theres a million other things to spend it on with this thing)

That being said, Would you recommend the II or III? I'm really not sure what the merits are of the newer one. I'd be willing to play test subject if you haven't heard of anyone else using the III. I just bought new wires, would I have to use their wires as well or can i reuse the current ones (I can't imagine why i couldn't reuse but it doesn't hurt to ask)?

Sorry for the newb questions and thank you for the advice!

Joe AZ 2 PA

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
I'm putting a Pertronix set-up on mine this winter. You can get a complete set-up thru Summit Racing Equip. They offer the Pretronix II set with everything including the distributer to the plugs including new plug wires for $549.95 for a 289-302 engine. The distributer is their Plug-n-Play billit not the Flame Thrower. Plugs of your choice are extra. . . 8)

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:32:03 PM »
Just about every parts house carries Pertronix so shop for value. As to what to get, the P II has enough bells and whistles to satisfy about any performance need. The P III seems to be for all out types. Go to http://www.pertronix.com/ for more info. For me, I put a P I in my 66 A code hardtop about eight years ago and those little nasty "quirks" (starting, crapping out etc) dissapeared. Nuff said. OH, I do carry a set of points in the car just in case.
Jim

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 05:58:31 AM »
I put the pertronix I in my '65 289 a few years ago and it hasn't missed a lick since.  Best I remember, I paid like 65 bux for it.  I'd like to know the advantages of the high dollar pertronix is over the PI.  My motor almost jumps out of the engine bay every time I start it, and runs like a scared rabbit.   ;D I also have the set of points and condenser in the tool box in my trunk, but have just about forgotten about them. 

Joe AZ 2 PA

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 06:47:24 PM »
I'm doing it for the dependability to. I'm the original owner of my 66 and have gotten bit several times with faulty ignition problems usually at the worst times. Some were probably compounded by the Mallory dual point distributer. Like the guys said shop around, every good auoto parts store carries them and they are not hard to install. . . . .  8)

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version