Author Topic: 289 won't start - help!  (Read 6967 times)

Viin

289 won't start - help!
« on: June 20, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »
Hello engine gurus,

I have a '66 289 that just won't start.

Long story short:

It kicks over with starting fluid down the intake, but dies seconds later no matter where I have the gas pedal positioned. Without the starting fluid it acts as if it gets no gas. It was starting just perfect until it sat in the garage for about 2 months.

Longer story:

When I pump the pedal you can see gas in the intake and the fuel pump seems to be putting out good pressure. I originally thought it might be an ignition problem (the points were in bad shape) so I installed a Ignitor electronic ignition with a new coil. That didn't help, but hey now I have an electronic ignition. The fuel filter was replaced by a previous owner with one of the newer see-through filters and it looks just fine.

Do I need to have the carb rebuilt? Is there another component to look at in all this?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

keiken01

• My 1968 Mustang
  • Mustang: 1968 Coupe
Re: 289 won't start - help!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 01:58:43 PM »
Have you looked at the choke?  Has it started since you put the Ignitor on?  Have you double checked the Ignitor wires, distributor cap and plug wires are on correctly?

jethat

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 02:15:47 PM »
any chance you got water in the gas tank? kid put the garden hose in there? Stranger thing happen. If it starts when you prime it and you can see the gas going into the carb I would think somethings wrong with the gas.

Viin

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 02:42:42 PM »
Have you looked at the choke?  Has it started since you put the Ignitor on?  Have you double checked the Ignitor wires, distributor cap and plug wires are on correctly?

The choke is manual, unless it's common to have an automatic choke and a manual choke on the same carb? I haven't seen anything that indicates an automatic choke but I really don't know what I'd be looking for.

The engine does kick over with the Ignitor installed, but only with the starting fluid. I had previously installed new points and condenser but when that didn't work I decided to replace the whole she-bang with the Ignitor + coil setup. I've unplugged and checked the distributor wires and cap, including firing order, probably 5 times now - they aren't more than a few years old and look good.

any chance you got water in the gas tank? kid put the garden hose in there? Stranger thing happen. If it starts when you prime it and you can see the gas going into the carb I would think somethings wrong with the gas.

I've considered this too - No kid to put a garden hose in the tank, but who knows if water got in there during a high pressure wash or something. I'll try and drain some of the gas in the tank this weekend - with water being heavier than gas I should be able to drain a few gallons and get it all (I hope).

Any other ideas before I get gas all over the place?   ;D

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 02:54:28 PM »
If it kicks with the starting fluid, you have answered your own question.  It's a fuel problem.  It is very likely that when it sat for those few months, that condensation collected inside the tank.  Whenever I used to store mine, I would fill the tank plumb full in order to keep condensation from collecting, plus I put in a bottle of "Sta-Bil."  After you drain a few gallons out the bottom of the tank, add some stuff from the parts house designed to get rid of water in your tank, then add fresh gas.  Take the line loose from the carb and get a can or something to catch the gas, and have someone try to start it while you hold the line over the bucket to catch the gas that is still in the line. 

Viin

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 05:26:30 PM »
Welp it looks like it was a gas thing, though it's still up in the air if it's water or loose filter screen or what.

To test out the theory that the gas had water in it, I simply added some gas to the tank and sloshed it good. The theory being that with the water thoroughly mixed with the gas, it would be a low enough percentage that the engine would run.

And voi la, it starts.

Thanks for the help guys!

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 06:08:04 PM »
OK, but if it still has water in the tank, you are going to get a hick-up on the highway that is very irritating.  If I were you, I would drain the whole tank and fill it with fresh gas. 

jethat

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »
there are chemicals mainly industrial alcohol that will allow the burning of water. That really what fuel stabilizers are. At least get one of those. 

Viin

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 06:25:55 PM »
Turns out I don't have a drain plug, so draining the tank would be quite a messy chore. I'll try to find a stabilizer or similar and see if that keeps it running good. If not, I'll see my shop would be willing to drain it.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 06:59:36 PM »
If you are serious about draining it, the straps are held on only by a few bolts.    Turn that sucker over and drain it from the filler tube.  If it was mine, I'd get all that old varnish and water completely out of there. 

keiken01

• My 1968 Mustang
  • Mustang: 1968 Coupe
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 10:29:21 PM »
You can also siphon out the gas with a hand operated or one that hooks up to your power drill.  Both of these are pretty cheap from places like Harbor Freight or Cummins tools and would save the headache of messing with the tank. 

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version