Forum > Classic Mustang Technical forum

289 won't start - help!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Viin:
Welp it looks like it was a gas thing, though it's still up in the air if it's water or loose filter screen or what.

To test out the theory that the gas had water in it, I simply added some gas to the tank and sloshed it good. The theory being that with the water thoroughly mixed with the gas, it would be a low enough percentage that the engine would run.

And voi la, it starts.

Thanks for the help guys!

Soaring:
OK, but if it still has water in the tank, you are going to get a hick-up on the highway that is very irritating.  If I were you, I would drain the whole tank and fill it with fresh gas. 

jethat:
there are chemicals mainly industrial alcohol that will allow the burning of water. That really what fuel stabilizers are. At least get one of those. 

Viin:
Turns out I don't have a drain plug, so draining the tank would be quite a messy chore. I'll try to find a stabilizer or similar and see if that keeps it running good. If not, I'll see my shop would be willing to drain it.

Soaring:
If you are serious about draining it, the straps are held on only by a few bolts.    Turn that sucker over and drain it from the filler tube.  If it was mine, I'd get all that old varnish and water completely out of there. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version