Author Topic: 289 ci to 302 upgrade  (Read 10930 times)

leos79849

289 ci to 302 upgrade
« on: May 04, 2006, 04:27:14 PM »
hello im new to this forum and this  67  coupe is my first pony i got it for  700 bucks , when i pulled out the engine  i discovered it was pretty damaged , and i got advice to change  the  engine  to a 302 5.0 engine. so i managed to find a 85 lincoln mark  for 250  witha 5.0 HO  engine and tranny i was wondering  what kind of fiasco will i encounter in the  engine  swap?  mounts? suspension? Differential? Please reply thanks  :-?  :-?  :-?

Jerry Baker

• http://www.geocities.com/themustangmafia/
Re: 289 ci to 302 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 08:35:33 PM »
Welcome to the site.  Im not the motor guy on here so I really cant say but the 289 to 302 I wouldnt think would be that bad.  But Im sure race can tell you alot more

racedraper

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 08:39:54 PM »
welcome to the site.

if you dont want the fuel injection hassle of the new wiring you can also just take the intake off the new 302 and buy a new manifold and carb set up, real easy to do with no changes to the origanl wireing just make sure you lable everything before disconecting.
 Then you can take and sell the lincolns parts for fixing up the stang. as I look at it you should be able to get atleast 1500 bucks for all the parts, dissimble the lincoln and put it on ebay.

you dont have to change anything at all if its already a v-8 differnatl depends on the gear ratio you want.

good luck and post pics and up date us.

leos79849

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 04:33:55 PM »
Gee thanks a lot guys ill get to work on dismantling the cars, do you guys have any clue what is the cost to sell on ebay im a frequent buyer, but i've never sold there. Also i got some pics of  the  car its a long ways from being a butterfly, but i've got faith on this cocun

Jerry Baker

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 08:35:51 PM »
The wife sells on ebay and she said they charge you for every thing, photos, reserves, what you charge and so on.  She said it just depends on what all you do to sell it.

racedraper

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 08:37:21 PM »
as for ebay the fees depends of the prices you start on. If you start ata penny it will be cheaper. do figure out shipping take the item to your post office and they have self shipoing center that you can figure the weight and prices.

your lucky to have a car that has alot of afte market replacement parts. also dont forget to keep the old distributor unless you have help upgrade to electonic ignition

Jerry Baker

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 08:41:06 PM »
You need to start a photo ablum for the car as it comes along. so we can watch it be reborn

leos79849

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 09:09:28 AM »
hello guys i pulled out the  engine and  transmission from the lincoln and am ready to rebuild it.  the question i  have  is  what  can i add to this engine to give it more muscle, i was thinking a cam. A carb, to swap the  efi system, i was just wondering if  any one  knows which intake  and carb combination could be added to give it a kick. also if it is ok to leave out the power steering?

racedraper

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 09:28:42 AM »
look Edelbrock.com  they have great package deals that work together the best. Im thinking about the same for my 429 but get alum heads also but $$$$$.  Haveing your motor size you will find out there are alot of options or go to ford mototsport site

Ken Moore

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 12:00:12 PM »
great swap idea! It will be simpler to change over to a carb and manifold. I just put on a edelbrock set up and it works good right out of the box. if your rebuilding the engine it would be great to add a mild cam and maybe some better pistons. It all depends on how much you can afford. figure your budget and choose what you can do in the budget......oh ya ...keep the power steering youll be happy you did and kick yourself in the ass if you dont.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version