Author Topic: 1968 REAR END  (Read 6751 times)

V8 MUSCLE

1968 REAR END
« on: February 26, 2008, 04:10:29 PM »
Hello, Newbie here from Dublin Ireland.
        I have had 3 no Mustangs over the preceeding years all different models/years.
        Recently I purchased a car I have always longed for a 68 Fastback which was
        imported from the states to Europe by Pomona Imports in 2005. I am the second owner this side.
        I have always carried out my own maintainance etc so I decided to do a complete lube change on
        the car to start with a clean sheet as previous maintainance was a little vague.
        My problem is the 8 inch rear end appears to have no fill plug anywhere on the casing front or rear
        to allow for checking levels or filling & draining. I can remember an article I read in a Mustangs Plus
        catalogue some years back that said some 8 inch rear end were produced by Ford in this way.
        Short of drilling and tapping a new drain hole is there any other way of checking and filling the casing ?.
        The car is 40 years old and I would assume the casing has been checked and filled before many times.
         Best Regards ::)

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: 1968 REAR END
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 05:06:05 PM »
Yeah, that is a problem that a lot of '68 owners have stated. Check to see if there is a filler plug on the driver's side, facing the front. The level of oil should be just below the plug hole. Basically, you fill the chamber with oil until it starts to run out then put the plug back in.

If you have the type of rear axle that has the removable carrier, then the plug is on the back of the axle housing, facing the rear.  Now, if you simply and absolutely do not have a plug at all, then get a new cover, and make sure it has a plug.  Or, find a 3rd member and make sure the replacement has a plug.  My 65' 8 incher has a plug in the rear, so the covers can be ordered. 

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version