Forum > Classic Mustang Technical forum

1966 Mustang (200 CID) Ignition Timing?

(1/3) > >>

bandit1:
I have a 1966 Mustang (Convertible/Straight-6/200 CID/Autolite 1100 Carburetor/C-4 Automatic Transmission). I have replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, points/condenser/rotor, and set the points gap. My next step is to set the ignition timing. I would like to know what the correct timing is. I've looked online and have seen 6 degrees, but I've also seen 12 degrees. The current timing appears to be set at 8 degrees. Also, what is the best method to set the timing? I've heard of static timing and dynamic timing. Thank you.

keiken01:
I have both a Clymer and Chilton Mustang 1964-1973 manuals and both of them say 12 degrees for a 1966 6 cylinder with automatic.

bandit1:
Thanks.  I found a timing light in my basement. My late father used it. I've never used it, so I looked online for information. It has 3 wires (red- which I clamped to the positive terminal on the battery; black- the ground wire; small clamp- clamped over spark plug wire #1).  When I tried it, I did not see any light coming from it. What should I do or do differently?

Soaring:
You should throw that timing light away and go buy a new one.  Obviously that one is shot.  You had it hooked up right. 
Your initial timing should be about 10-12 BTDC, then tweak it by ear from there. 

bandit1:
Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version