Forum > Bodywork interior and paint

paint question, and an introduction


hi, I'm Stan, a new member from MA.

I just bought a 1987 Mustang convertible as a project car. aside from a few other issues it has peeling paint, and rust on the lower parts of the rear quarters.

question 1 - can I sand down the paint where it is peeling and paint over the rest? or does it need to be completely stripped?

question 2 - can I buy pre-formed patch sections for just the lower quarter panels? or do I just fabricate a patch out of sheet metal?


Yes you bringthe rust and do bodywork as needed as far as the rest of the paint it has to be sanded with 600 grit sandpaper or a red scotch brite pad for the paint to stick, and aftermarket panels are available to purchase for the lower quarter you'll have to locate an aftermarket place near you. You can call your local body shop and ask where the closest aftermarket place is in your area.


[0] Message Index

Go to full version