Author Topic: White Smoke roaring out tail pipes.... ?  (Read 10840 times)

92LX5.0HHH

• Mustang: 1992 LX Hatchback
  • Daily driver: 01 Stratus
White Smoke roaring out tail pipes.... ?
« on: August 10, 2011, 11:03:27 PM »
I have a 1992 LX 5.0 Hatchback with 74,000 original miles, bought it new... Amoco Ultimate at EVERY STOP (but one, way back in 1994, and that was for a one tank of SHELL top grade) and Mobil 1 synthetic since 12,000 miles... the car has been a perfect vehicle until the other day when I went to start it ( do not drive it every day... I baby this car to death...) and it started blowing out white smoke that worsens when I drive it up the street... The car at first almost overcame me with a gasoline smell in the interior and a day later, on the second start, the smell was of a burning something... both pipes smoked white, and then continued to cigarette-style wisp after the car was turned off... The car runs a tad rough, not really bad, but really kills the road behind me with smoke when I go up the street!

I am so freaking out, right now... Is my baby gone, or what???

Thanks, guys!

Geo

Jeff73Mach1

• Mustang: 1973 Mach 1
Re: White Smoke roaring out tail pipes.... ?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »
White smoke is generally a blown head gasket.  Coolant is getting into the engine's combustion chambers and this is what is causing the smoke.  !st off stop driving it.  Second check your fluids.  Your radiator will be low and your oil may be okay or may look like chocolate milk.  Antifreeze,water and oil make a shitty lubricant. If mechanically inclined head gaskets can be changed in an afternoon.  If not, a mechanic can normally get it done in 5-6 hours and with about $100.00 bucks in parts.

92LX5.0HHH

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 12:27:59 AM »
Thanks, Jeff... However, a check of antifreeze reveals it is in perfect condition (usual color and everything), the oil is perfect on dipstick (no brown and no bubbles), and I got to check one spark plug before it got too dark, and it was white, not tan...

Could it be the gasoline? I use only BP Amoco ultimate but did they put too much ethanol in it, maybe?

Just wondering... How hard it is to learn how to do yourself? Ford place wants $1000.00, and $90.00 just for the diagnosis!

Jeff73Mach1

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 10:48:49 AM »
The plugs are white because there is water in the system and it turns to steam and cleans the plugs with each firing.  Oil looking good is suggestive that you haven't done any damage yet, but I would still not drive or run it any more.

I doubt it is the gas.  It would take water to make that white smoke (or several other fluids, but not alcohol.)

It runs rough because wherever the water is, that or those cylinders are not generating their normal level of energy.  You might be able to isolate where it is blown with a infared thermometer aimed at the exhaust manifolds.

It takes very little water to create a lot of smoke.

As to doing it yourself, the repair is not all that hard, but there is a lot of stuff to disconnect and move.  The heads generally ought to be lightly surfaced by a machine shop to insure there is no warpage.  The engine block should also be checked with a good steel straight edge for problems, though they tend to be rare.  A cracked block can cause identical problems, but is almost unheard of in a stock 5.0.  There is a lok to look for and a lot of detail that you need to  keep up with.  Books and articles will only get you so far, you should try and find someone to help you with the process.

Jeff73Mach1

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 10:50:24 AM »
oh and sometimes you can run the car with the radiator cap open and watch bubbles in the anti freeze-it is a dead giveaway of a blown head gasket, but isn't always present.

92LX5.0HHH

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 02:33:16 PM »
Thanks, Jeff... I also got this answer from a mechanic at Ford, and I am really praying he turns out to be right!

"Your fuel pressure regulator has probably gone bad and is letting fuel leak past it and is getting sucked into the motor. remove the vacuum line off of the regulator, its on the fuel rail where the injectors are and had 3 screws in it, if it is wet the regulator has gone bad. just replace it and change the oil if that is the problem."

"You should be able to get the reg from autozone. It is round with 3 allen wrench screws in it the fuel injectors have rails on top of them and it is on top of one of them."

So I will either get it fixed this way, or end up giving Ford a grand to do the heads for me, after I get up under there are get completely lost!

Jeff73Mach1

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 01:12:07 AM »
With fuel injection, I could understand the explanation.  A blown head gasket with lowish miles would be unusual, but not unheard of.  Good luck and hope my diagnosis is wrong.

92LX5.0HHH

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 11:09:32 AM »
Thank you, Jeff! I will have to wait and see.. First, I have to find the darn thing, under the hood! I have looked twice, but cannot begin to locate it!

shawn81

• Mustang: 87 gt
  • Daily driver: 2000 s10
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 10:02:34 PM »
Have a very strange problem I bought a 87 ft 5.0 dual sump oil pan  it smokes but runs great I changed the oil and it has about 8 quarts in it so I put the recommend 6 back in it the oil pump doesn't want to pick it up gauge is jumping any elevation at all the gauge drops to 0 lifters start pecking at 7 quarts about the same way a little better tho at 8 quart 40 to 60 psi stedy but here comes the smoke now I no its over filled can it be the pick up tube is bent or has moved some how any info is much helpful

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version