Author Topic: 5.0 Engine Convervion to a Mercedes 300CE.......first post!  (Read 11964 times)

Makahveli

• Mustang: Mercedes 1988 300CE
  • Daily driver: 92' Ford Explorer 4.0 Supercharged with Comp Cam
5.0 Engine Convervion to a Mercedes 300CE.......first post!
« on: January 31, 2010, 02:52:35 PM »
Hello there and sorry if a guy like me is unwanted here.  It's time to trash my 3.0L mercedes engine and I want V8 power!  I've always been a fan of the Mustang 5.0 so I came up with the idea to put a 5.0 in my mercedes.  Has this been done before?  Anybody knows what I'd have to do I'm not aware about?  All I now for now is I'll have to pick a certain tranny, get the ecm and wiring harness, look into a motor and tranny mount conversion, and some other unkowns.  So any words of wisdom or anything?  I'm not new to fords as I've had an 87' taurus in the past and still currently have my have my 92' 4.0 Explorer Sport that I rebuilt the upper end of the engine with a hi-rev comp cam and alot of other goodies including a paxton supercharger!   

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: 5.0 Engine Convervion to a Mercedes 300CE.......first post!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 04:32:50 PM »
Hey....welcome to the site.  You have come to the right place to talk about Ford engines, etc.

You'll have to do some measuring to see if the 5.0 will fit under the hood, and you will need to make sure the suspension on that Mercedes is strong enough to support the 5.0.  Yes, you will need a matching transmission, as the Mercedes won't bolt up to that 5.0.  You will most likely have to get another drive shaft from the donor, and most likely the rear end as well.  You will need to carefully measure the rear end to make sure the Ford rear will fit.  Or, better still, rework the donor driveshaft where it hooks up the the Mercedes rear, then you wont have to bother with changing out the rear, assuming the Mercedes rear is strong enough to handle the HP and torque of that 5.0.   It sounds like an expensive project to me, but anything is possible if you can use a cutting torch and welder. 

Makahveli

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 11:42:19 PM »
I'll most likely get a custom drive line, and yes my car can handle alot!  I have the 3.0L V6 in it but there were models they made with V12's in them---but too much for my wallet!  I was told that several 190I were converted to the 5.0L and that engine bay is smaller in everyway!  I think this project at the most would come up to the same price or less than rebuilding my engine and transmission.  I would love to change my differential to a limited slip or some positrac kinda unit(independent suspension).  Its hard to tell where the frame rails are on these cars with all the sound deadener and undercoat they put on these cars so doing the leaf spring setup would be a pain!!!  I know I have the 8.8 rear end on my explorer!  I forgot to mention I am a diesel mechanic so I am inclined to do certain jobs.  It is something I'll be doing over a period of time, so I would like to know are there any issues or thing I need to make sure and check for before putting an engine with 75K miles on it in?

Makahveli

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:00:35 AM »
I see alot f aftermarket stuff on ebay (a K&N filter was all I previously can do) anything recomended???

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 12:48:30 AM »
Keep in mind that a lot of 5.0 engines were fuel injected and computer controlled. Make sure that if the doner car has a computer that you get the wiring harness too.
Jim

BlackShadow

• Mustang: 1965 Mustang 2+2
  • Daily driver: Ford f350 powerstroke 4x4
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 01:15:34 AM »
I have seen a chevy 350 in a benz but not a ford 302 should work, you just have to make some custom  parts mainly the motor and tranny mounts.

Makahveli

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 11:46:03 AM »
he said I can have it all as I think he said he's upgrading to a 347?  so the tranny and alternator he's keeping.... Oh I forgot to say I already got the engine picked out!

Makahveli

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 11:12:39 AM »
Okay new update on the project, I had to change selection and got kucky......I got hold of a 1987 Ford 5.0 HO from a mustang GT going into my 1988 mercedes 300ce.  Biggest concerns now are the radiator, motor configuration and hood clearance.......still in the works!!!

Jeff73Mach1

• Mustang: 1973 Mach 1
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 12:28:26 PM »
You may want to look at front sump vs rear sump pans for clearance.

The Ford 302/5.0 is a relatively compact engine so I think it should work out pretty well.

Keep in mind there are 50oz imbalance flywheels for the 5.0 and 28oz for the 302 so flywheel or flexplate and harmonic balancers need to be right for your particular engine.

If you have the mercedes transmission you might be able to remove the bellhousing and replace it with an adapter plate and a ford bellhousing-

Not sure if you intend to go automatic or manual transmission-but I would opt for a 4 speed automatic or a 5 speed manual or your mileage is going to go WAY down. (it will anyway to some degree.

Look at some adjustable motor mounts used in early mustang engine swaps and you can see how they build some lateral and quite a bit of fore and aft movement into the mounts.  Perhaps you could fabricate a top end similar to these to mate to the bottom half of the mercedes mounts

if you rare going through emissions inspections it might be possible to maintain the mercedes converter and swap to ford oxygen sensors positioned in the same places as the donor vehicle used.

I assume you will end up with a mercedes wiring harness for all lights abd body related functions and a mustang computer and wiring harness for all engine/ignition functions.  It might take some work to get all of it sorted out, but it actually soulnds pretty straightforward to me.

Good luck

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 01:47:31 PM »
I'd sell the Kraut car and go buy a real Mustang.   ;D

Makahveli

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 12:30:05 PM »
That would be very cool if I can keep the same tranny, and yes the motor mount situation is big, I've had this car for 5 years now and love it, but always wanted a mustang...... the engine head gasket is blown and several other issues so I decided to part with the engine anyways, the tranny needs work to but I'd really like If I would have to change that configuration.  Selling it would be such a loss in the pockets cause who want a car with a terrible drivetrain in it?  I hope the picture of it shows......

Makahveli

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 12:34:45 PM »
P.S. I have the body rear bumper on it now and the side skirt sitting in the garage--had to say that cause I know somebody looking at this is wondering whats up!  It has the O.K. straight 6 engine in it right now!  Automatic tranny!

Makahveli

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 12:13:32 PM »
Okay, obviously this setup will be fro rear wheel drive, can I get any advice on the tranny of choice for this, its starting to discourage me about how much redoing my rear end would cost.......

Makahveli

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 01:31:55 PM »
Very quiet forum this is.... but hey guys I have a few questions...on this 87 5.0 HO engine, do I need the sump pump and are emissions that horrible?  And I don't live in california, I wanna put a 303 cam in the engine....that a bad idea?

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 11:28:59 PM »
I don't know what Colorado's smog laws are but you are in a legal morass if they are similar to California's. The general rule of the thumb would be the standards are based on the latest model year used, 1988 for the car if the engine is from an earlier car. The engine must make that year's levels. Putting in an exotix cam makes it even worse.
The question about an oil pump is based on what oil pan (sump) you used for clearance of the front suspension. If it's an older style, the oil pump is in the front, newer ones "may" be in the back of the pan. There is also a dry type sump used in racing but that is another matter. Need more info, and pictures might help.
Jim

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 06:28:07 AM »
Yeah, the inspectors don't care what year the engine is.  They go by the year of the car to determine what emission levels are acceptable.  Here in Texas, they don't even inspect the emission levels. 

Makahveli

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 11:56:53 PM »
Yeah I'll do front sump, and I was trying to go with the removal of the smog pump cause the guy who sold me the engine took it off the engine sold I was looking to see if I really needed a new one.  the other thing I've been looking into if what tranny is best and then I thought closest between the c4 and the AOD's that the 5.0's had for those years and then looking into torque converters.  It sucks but there isn't much I can do to change rearend gears in the mercedes so I'm stuch with having to use a 3.07 gear ratio.....  what to do???

wrightmercy

• Mustang: 1965 mustang
  • Daily driver: 1965 mustang
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 01:12:57 AM »
from the first year of my college life, i already used mercedes benz. and actually i haven't heard or haven't try this kind of modification. maybe because i am not as brilliant as those mercedes benz repair mechanic. just like you guys. by the way i am new in this community.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version