Author Topic: 03 GT New battery, now wont start  (Read 5503 times)

engnrng

• Mustang: 2002 GT convertible
  • Daily driver: 2004 Prius
03 GT New battery, now wont start
« on: December 29, 2010, 06:50:30 PM »
Don't drive it much - just sunny sundays.  Replaced battery, now cranks strongly, do not hear fuel pump, no starting.  THEFT light goes out after a few seconds in ON position.  Checked fuel pump reset in trunk.  Suspect the PATS because battery was disconnected for a couple of hours.  Can I disable the PATS?  Can I jumper a connector for the fuel pump to try?  Dealer says to tow it in, may need new keys.  Keys work just fine - lock/unlock, alarm, trunk.  Any ideas?  Have under 30k miles on it - started and drove great all last spring/summer and the two years before that. 

Can anyone recommend ODB reader for 03?

Thanks!

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: 03 GT New battery, now wont start
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 07:12:43 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't mess with it myself.  I'd just take it to a reputable Ford dealership.  You can go crazy trying to figure out the codes, even if you have the right equipmentl. 

engnrng

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 10:34:43 AM »
Ok, Soaring, thanks.  I saw a reference on another site that the problems Ford has had with the PATS losing its place resulted in them designing a reset (key in door lock, turn left) into the Taurus.  The F150 has also had problems, but has no reset, and the mustang has none either that I can find.  How do you find a reputable Ford dealership?  I am looking at a $100+ tow, then $200+ for keys, unless they decide to replace the fuel pump first (no fuel at engine, so replace the pump), in which case it might be $400.  I have learned from experience that the more I know about the problem, the better job the dealer does.  Otherwise, they follow some kind of check list:  1. replace whatever part we think of first.  2.  When that doesn't work, replace the next part we think of.  3.  repeat #2 until customer runs out of money or problem disappears.  Are there certifications that I should look for in the Ford dealer technicians? 

engnrng

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 12:03:10 PM »
Update:  Needed a new fuel pump.  Apparently when mustangs sit for a couple of months, regardless of age, the fuel pump can seize up, as reported on several other postings here.  After fuel pump was replaced, all has worked perfectly since.  I now make sure I start the engine for at least a few minutes every week or two.

Jeff73Mach1

• Mustang: 1973 Mach 1
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 12:49:06 PM »
Part of this is related to alcohol in the fuel.  Try and find pure gas before any extended storage and use a fuel stabilizer.  Glad you got it straightened out.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version